About Us

Colonial Garage and Distributors Limited (Colonial) was opened in 1926 by Gordon Elton as a service and gas station. A body shop was added in 1945. In the 1950's the focus of Colonial began to change in 1951 with the addition of a machine shop. Just a short time later the parts department was added. The company was subsequently legally incorporated in 1960.

The St. John's business had grown considerably since its early inception and in 1963 Colonial opened a Radiator Shop at its St. John's location. Just a little over ten years later, Colonial would continue to grow even more. In 1974 Colonial acquired a branch in Corner Brook by purchasing an already existing Parts store, which included a parts department and a machine shop. A radiator shop was added to the Corner Brook location in 1980. In the 1977, two more branches were purchased on separate occasions, with one located in Grand Falls and the other in Sydney, N.S.

From the beginning of the 1990's, Colonial's expansion began to take place. In less than ten years, Colonial acquired or opened seven (7) more branches: Conception Bay Auto Supplies, Bay Roberts, Clarenville, Marystown, Fortune, Gander, Sydney Mines and Placentia. In 2001 the most recent branch was added with the opening of a location in the east end of St. John's to complement the main store. The business has continued to evolve and change to meet the needs of its customers.

In 1999 Colonial received the National "Jobber of the Year" award, an industry award given annually to a business in recognition of extra-ordinary performance in the Canadian Automotive Aftermarket and for involvement in the industry and community.

Colonial remains a family business and is the largest independently owned aftermarket parts supplier in Newfoundland and Labrador employing over 116 people. Colonial has 12 branch locations, 10 in Newfoundland and 2 in Cape Breton. The St. John's location, in addition to its automotive / industrial parts department, offers a full service body shop, radiator manufacturing, fleet garage (12 bays) and one of the largest independent machine shop east of Montreal. Additionally, Corner Brook offers radiator remanufacturing and machine shop services. The remaining branches specialize in automotive / industrial / marine / paint (vehicle) supply.